Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to have a mold inspection?
- $200 and up, depending on how many laboratory tests are required.
- Does home owner’s insurance cover any of the costs?
- Costs associated with mold are sometimes covered by insurance. You will need to contact your insurance agent for details.
- Can I have a mold problem if my house is only 2 years old?
- You can have mold even if your house is one day old. Under the right conditions for mold to grow, it can manifest itself within 24 hours or the wood used to construct the home may have already been contaminated with mold.
- Why can't I go directly to remediation of the mold?
- It is much better to know what kind of mold you are dealing with, but if you want to remediate it without the testing, we can treat the mold as if it were the most toxic species. (This would be accomplished after we know more information about your particular situation.)
- How do I know if the mold in my house is toxic to my family and my pets?
- There is no way to be absolutely certain without testing results from a certified laboratory.
- If I have toxic mold, can I get out of my lease agreement?
- You might be able to, but you must consult an attorney who knows the laws in your state.
- What species of toxic molds are commonly found in buildings?
- A. Cladosporium, Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Alternaria which are all all are considered toxic. Stachybotrys, Fusarium, Trichoderma (also considered toxic), produce mycotoxins that are easily absorbed into skin, intestinal lining, airways and lungs. Other toxic molds include Coccidioides, Blastomyces, Histoplasma, and Memnoniella.
- Is mold in the animal kingdom or the plant kingdom?
- Neither one. Fungus is its own kingdom.
- How are mushrooms related to mold and mildew?
- Mushrooms are a fungus, like mold and mildew. Some mushrooms are poisonous to humans. Some are used as psychedelic drugs. Some are eaten as a delicacy. And some are used for their healing properties. There is a large variety of molds and mildews as well.
All Mold Professionals
800 - 784 - 2345